Tekka maki is a type of sushi roll that is typically made with tuna. It is also sometimes referred to as tuna roll or spicy tuna roll. One of the most popular types of sushi rolls in the world and can be found on the menu at most sushi restaurants.
The word “tekka” means “red,” referring to the red color of the raw tuna. This style of roll is usually made with just three ingredients: raw tuna, sushi rice, and nori (seaweed paper).
Download this article, free!
How to Make Tekka Maki
The subject of how to make tekka maki is actually quite controversial. The traditional way to make this type of sushi roll is to use raw tuna, but many modern sushi chefs use cooked tuna instead. This is because raw fish can be difficult to come by in some parts of the world and it can also be dangerous if it is not fresh.
If you decide to use raw tuna, make sure that it is very fresh and that you take all the necessary precautions when handling it. It is also important to slice the tuna very thinly so that it will cook evenly when rolled up in the sushi rice.
If you are using cooked tuna, make sure that it is cooled before adding it to the rice. You will also want to chop it into small pieces so that it will be easy to eat when rolled up in the sushi.
The final step in preparation is to roll up the rice and tuna together in nori (seaweed paper). If you are using raw tuna slices, you may want to slightly cook them beforehand. This can be done by dipping them in boiling water for a few seconds or by frying them in hot oil.
Whether you choose to use raw or cooked tuna, you have a delicious and easy-to-eat sushi roll. It is one of the most popular types of rolls in the world and can be found on the menu at most sushi restaurants.
If you are feeling adventurous, why not try making your own at home?
- First, you’ll need to cook the sushi rice according to package directions.
- Next, lay out a sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat.
- Spread the cooked rice evenly over the nori, leaving about ½ inch of space at the edges.
- Now it’s time to add the filling. For this, you’ll need about ¼ pound of fresh raw tuna.
- Cut the tuna into thin strips and arrange them in the center of the rice-covered nori sheet.
- Roll up the mat tightly, making sure that the seam is on the bottom so that it doesn’t unravel.
- Wet your hands and gently press down on the roll to shape it into an even cylinder.
- To finish, cut the roll into 8 pieces using a sharp knife dipped in water (this will help prevent sticking).
Serve immediately with soy sauce and pickled ginger (if desired). Enjoy!